Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Big Bad Bitch of the West

Today was a giant waste of time at psych clinical. We had a debriefing (read: recruiting session) at the state hospital. It was interesting. They must be really hard up for nurses if they're talking about health care benefits and paid leave to a bunch of nursing students. Anyway, they wanted to know what we thought about their fine hospital, the good and the bad. We went around the table first to say good things about the hospital, and everyone had something to say. I mentioned a few nurses that helped me out personally.

Then, however, they wanted to know about things that were "not so helpful or pleasant about the hospital." The room was dead silent. Crickets were chirping. I spoke up. "I thought a particular nurse, Jane, wasn't very helpful. She snapped at me and the other nursing student and didn't seem to want us there." Another girl said that the staff went through report way too fast, but other than that, I was the only one who said anything.

I couldn't believe it. People complained and complained until their mouths were dry and their faces turned blue when the administrators of the hospital weren't there, but as soon as they get the opportunity to voice their concerns, they act like it was the best experience of their lives to do clinical at this facility. This just pisses me off. Not only do I end up looking like a huge bitch for saying anything at all about my displeasure, but it's compounded by the fact that it seemed like no one else had a problem with anything. What was I supposed to do? She treated me crappy and I had no power to confront her about it, and they asked.

I don't know why I feel so bad. I just hate feeling like I'm the bad guy because I said my opinion.

Anyway, we then went on a tour of a private psychiatric hospital that also tried to recruit us. I guess psych nurses are in short supply. I haven't decided what type of nursing I want to do, so their recruiting was pretty much lost on me.

1 comment:

Andrew O'Toole said...

I don't think that makes you a bitch at all. They asked for criticism and you were the only one with enough balls to stand up for you and the other students who were mistreated by this nurse. If people don't want to be walked all over, they need to learn to stand up for themselves.