Monday, January 24, 2011

RN? Yes. Smarter? No.

Wow, it's been a while since I last posted. I am now a brand spanking new RN with a shiny name badge and everything. I work in a newly opened ICU.

So far it has been merely OK. I spent six weeks at Mega Hospital's cardiac ICU training while they were still building Relatively Small Hospital. That was an adventure. I had a pretty nice preceptor. Anal, yes, but nice. I have yet to get used to the intensity level of ICU nurses. It's really quite startling at first.

We opened the new hospital where I've been receiving a sort of orientation. By this I mean I get a preceptor and actual ICU patients when we have enough staff. This annoys me to no end.

I am applying to graduate school right now in hopes of becoming a pediatric nurse practitioner. In my college job I worked with kids and I really miss that. I've been applying to every peds job under the sun (or at least in the metro area) to try to break into the field, but I guess you either have to have tons of experience or know someone at Children's to even get your application routed to a manager. Try NICU perhaps? We will see.

In the mean time, I'll try to make myself feel better/laugh a little with stories from the ICU.

No comments: